Saturday, November 01, 2014

Bow Sprit Drawings circa 1999

I had been asked in the past if I would share my drawings of the Bow Sprit I designed and had built locally by Doug Embree.  I said I would, but never found my original drawing having packed up most saved material before we went cruising.  However!! I have found it.

I'm not sure if anyone wants to go to the expense and effort required to make this modification to their CSY or even another boat, but if you do, here is a top and side view of what we built in 316 stainless steel.

The drawing was large, 1" = 1'

It was designed to be removeable, attaching to the original Anchor Platform and to 2 separate 4" x 8" mounting plates on the hull at the aft end of the tubes.

You can print them out, align them and tape them together to have a drawing equal to the original.

Note, this was a time consuming project and quite costly.
$11,700 Bow Sprit and pulpit by Doug Embree
$1,000 for mods to self-deploying anchor system incorporated in original design.
$400 for custom 'cutwater fitting' to attach Bobstay
$1,000 for Bobstay components including spectacular Dolphin Striker done by Rick Heim of Gulfport Industrial Machine
Add to that:
An NC42 Profurl roller furling for new Genoa
$2500
And the sail by "Mack Sails"
$3,000
New leads for genoa sheets, and then the additional costs for adding a Staysail and all it's blocks leads sail, sheets, custom stainless conponents etc. adding another 6-7 grand.

Easily a $20,000 project and this is in 1999-2001 dollars.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that I've finished the whole thing , all I can say is :-Many thanks for the teachings , and fair winds to you both , always...God bless you all

Ron Sheridan said...

Sorry for the long, long delay but glad you have accomplished your dream. thanks for your good wishes, we appreciate that!
Stay well and keep smiling