Monday, September 24, 2007

Marimba Band in Antigua

While in Antigua we visited an old home turned restaurant/hotel, that for decades has offered the music of a marimba band in it's central courtyard for the pleasure of guests and anyone of the public that wishes to enter its magnificent wooded doors. The music is offered for several hours, several times per week.

The funny thing is that in the late 80's, I stumbled across this place with the band topped with large straw hats and simple white indigenous clothing, playing in the afternoon as Mayan girls were weaving cloth nearby in a corner of the courtyard. This time, I had a cell phone with a camera and video capabilities in my pocket, something that was only dreamed of 20 years ago. So, I called my dad, back in the states and told him what I was watching and that I was going to record it for him.

Later on, back on the boat, it took a number of hours on the computer to download and rework glitches in software for everything to work, but I got the short video clip out of the phone, into my computer and uploaded to this blog so he can see it!



The magnificent, carved wooden marimba at Hotel Posada de don Rodrigo



I hope he likes it, even though the video picture quality itself is not great...the sound is genuinely nice. By the way, the gent on the base violin has played here-in this band- for 25 years and is the only one of the present band that was here the last time I heard them. He was really tickled to hear I heard him play 20 years ago.

So Dad, this one's for you! Hope you like it.

No comments: